Georgetown EFL has a lot to offer:
- A CEA accredited program
- Experienced faculty, dedicated to helping students learn
- Small class sizes
- A vibrant university campus
- A fascinating city, full of American history and culture
- Organized activities
- Students from all over the world
Read what our students have to say!
Being in the capital of the United States of American is such a good feeling because there is a piece of American culture hidden in every corner of the city. And having gone to those symbolic places here in DC has shown me American history from a different perspective.
Academically, I have never met so many people willing to help you reach excellence. No matter how long it takes, the faculty and staff will have the patience and the best smile in order to help you.
I studied here for one year and I have to say that I have made unique relationships with people. They are more than friends, I consider them my family. I can say that thanks to EFL I have built bonds that cannot be broken easily.
~ Gustavo Ascanio, Venezuela
I am now moving on to a Masters program here at Georgetown University, and the EFL program provided me the skills, not only reading and writing but also the speech fluency and speech management that will for sure help me during my graduate work.
~Patricio Garcia, Chile
I was impressed from my first day at the program until the graduation ceremony. Coming to a new country was an overwhelming feeling, but studying at the EFL program at Georgetown University definitely made it the best experience I have ever had.
The faculty was the best thing in the whole experience. Without them, my English skills would never have improved. They all had great knowledge of the topic they were teaching. I am so thankful for their time and effort. Whenever I needed help or guidance, they were there to help. It was really easy to contact them through office hours or email, and they respond instantly.
- Writing skills: I still keep my first essay that I wrote in my first week. Although I was in the advanced level, it was a failure. The professors shaped my writing skills really well that later on I took the IELTS test, and I scored in the writing section 8 out of 9. Thanks to the great professors at the EFL program and their amazing skills in training us to write a well-done essay structure.
- Speaking skills: They do not only teach us how to pronounce words in the American pronunciation, but they also teach us how to speak using idioms and words in a grammatically correct way. Presenting in front of the class is a new thing that I am not used to back in my country, and I am sure most of the countries are not used to it as well. The EFL program teaches us how to present and organize our PowerPoint slides in an academic way so that we will be well-prepared for our future educational degrees that we will obtain.
- Listening skills: As an international student, at the beginning it was really hard for me to get used to the way Americans pronounce English words. Thanks to the EFL program that played a big role in making me use some strategies in order to recognize and understand American English.
~ Norah Alhuseini, Saudi Arabia
The EFL classes are helpful to improve English ability. Students can learn not only English skills, but also knowledge that is necessary for further education in the university. For example, I learned about the college application process, the correct form of citations, and ways to research information for academic papers.
I also learned a lot about US universities. I had an opportunity to audit an economics class at Georgetown, and I could guess what it feels like to study in the US. Taking exams and participating in university programs, such as rock climbing were extraordinary experiences for me.
I think the Georgetown EFL program is perfect for students to learn English and experience the US university environment.
~Junghyun Ahn, Korea
The classes in Georgetown EFL are next to the other programs' classes which allow us to mingle with American students and participate in the American culture.
~Shams Alsaby, Saudi Arabia
There is a great diversity of students coming here from around the world. Also the facilities here are great; there is a gym that you can use whenever you want. I usually go there for swimming, but they also have basketball courts and other facilities.
Access DC is wonderful. I went to a show at the Kennedy Center, a soccer game, a baseball game, and to see the statues, monuments, and museums.
~Natasya Cadre, Indonesia
My experience in EFL program has been much more useful than I expected. Meeting people from all over the world, sharing opinions about global issues, taking part in activities such as kayaking has been exciting and a great opportunity to improve my listening and speaking skills!!
~Giulia Fanchin, Italy
The ACE program has helped me not only to improve my oral English skills but to get to know people from all around the world and different cultures! The activities in and out of class are amazing, and I really enjoyed kayaking and the Nationals game!
~Barbara Pons Pardo, Spain
EFL is an incredible experience! Because it is a good place to learn English and the American culture. I enjoyed lectures, free time and cross cultural communication with students from different countries. I would like to thank all of our teachers and staff for all they do!
~Danara Tileubergen, Kazakhstan